You can add more features & apps by simply selecting the software you need, we call this plugins. Plugins are possible due to the modular design of openmediavault and are the prefered way to extend your NAS. Its still possible install regular sofware or containerized software like Docker. Plugins only exist for your convenience.
Compared to adding regular software, plugins offer the following benefits:
- Easier to install - You just click on what you want.
- Easier to configure - its often preconfigured so you don’t have to.
- Automatic updates - ensure Stability & Security.
- A Webinterface - is added when needed for your ease of use.
The following is the list of official plugins by openmediavault.
- ClamAV: Provides antivirus scan for folders.
- Route: Add static routes.
- iSCSITarget: Control panel for sharing block devices in the network.
- Forked-daap: Provides a daap protocol music server.
- LDAP: Integrates the user management panel with a LDAP server.
- LVM2: LVM managing. Create volume groups and logical partitions.
- Netatalk: Provides AFP sharing protocol used mainly in Mac OS X environments.
- Diskstats: Complementary plugin to extend current system statistics collection by adding iostats graphs.
- NUT: Controlling and configuring UPS. The driver support is based on NUT.
- USB Backup: Backup internal data to external disks on scheduled basis or on plug drive event.