- Before you begin:
- Check if your hardware is supported on the system requirements page.
- Download an installation image file for your system. openmediavault provides ISO installers for x86 architecture and several preconfigured images for ARM devices.
- Disconnect all harddisks except the future system drive. This way you avoid an accidental install on a storage drive (which will be configured after installation anyway).
- Installation variants:
Choose your installation variant and follow the instructions.
- Dedicated drive - Advised method via ISO image. This runs OMV from its own drive.
- USB flash drive - This runs openmediavault from a USB flash drive.
- Debian Operating System - This runs openmediavault as a services on top of a Debian OS.
- Debian Operating System via deboostrap. Use this as a last resource in case the installer does not recognize a specific essential hardware component like hard disk (NVME) or a network card that needs a higher kernel (backport).
- SD card - This runs openmediavault from a SD card.
- First time use:
If you have a screen attached, KVM or IMPI console the login screen will display the current IP address assigned for the web interface. Open your browser and type that IP address. The default web interface login credential is
rootpassword is the one you setup during installation.
For ARM images the root password is the same as admin password.